In what cases can an airline terminate a contract with a passenger?
According to Paragraph 230 of the Federal Aviation Regulations “General Rules of Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage, Cargoes ...” the carrier can unilaterally terminate the contract of a passenger`s or cargo’s air carriage in the following cases:
- violation by the passenger of passport, customs, sanitary and other requirements established by the legislation of the Russian Federation in connection with air transportation;
- the passenger’s refusal to comply with the requirements imposed on them by the federal aviation regulations;
- if the aircraft passenger’s health condition requires special conditions for air transportation or threatens the safety of the passenger him/herself or that of other persons, as well as creates disorder and unavoidable inconveniences for other persons;
- the aircraft passenger’s refusal to pay for the carriage of his baggage the weight of which exceeds the established norms of free baggage allowance;
- the aircraft passenger’s refusal to pay for the carriage of child, except for the free transportation of one child aged no more than two years without providing him with a separate seat;
- violation by the passenger of the on board aircraft rules of conduct which creates a threat to the safety of the flight of the aircraft or a threat to the life or health of other persons, as well as the aircraft passenger’s failure to follow the aircraft commander`s instructions;
- the presence of objects or substances prohibited for air transportation in personal carry-on items, as well as in the baggage, the cargo.
In what cases does the passenger have the right to refuse transportation by air transport?
In accordance with Paragraph 227 of the Federal Aviation Regulations «General Rules of Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage, Cargo ...», the passenger has the right to refuse to transport in the following cases:
- cancellation or delay of the flight indicated in the ticket;
- changes of the transportation route by the carrier;
- the flight is not scheduled;
- the passenger’s failed flight due to the inability to provide him with a seat on the flight and the date indicated in the ticket;
- the passenger’s failed flight caused by a passenger’s delay at the airport because of the length of his inspection, if there were no substances or items prohibited for transportation during the examination of baggage or the passenger`s personal examination;
- the carrier`s failure to connect the flights in case of a single transportation;
- the passenger’s sudden illness or his family member`s illness or death who is flying with him on the aircraft, which is evidenced by medical documents;
- the failure to provide the passenger with services according to the class indicated in the ticket;
- The wrong ticket is issued by the carrier or an authorized agent.
The carrier can admit the passenger’s refusal to be transported in other cases too. In case of the passenger`s forced refusal from transportation, the carrier makes a mark in the transportation document or issues a document to the passenger confirming the refusal to be refunded the amount paid for the transportation.
How is air transportation of bedridden patients and invalids carried out?
Transportation of a passenger unable to move independently in a wheelchair or a patient on stretchers is carried out accompanied by a person providing care for this passenger in flight. If this is stipulated by the rules of the carrier, transportation of such people may be carried out under the supervision of the carrier. Transportation of the patient on stretchers is performed with the provision of additional seats on the aircraft with payment established by the carrier. The carrier has the right to refuse to transport the passenger in a wheelchair or the patient on a stretcher if on certain aircraft there are no conditions necessary for the carriage of such passengers.
The visually impaired passenger or a deaf passenger, travel with an accompanying person or without an escort under the supervision of the carrier, if such carriage is provided for by the carrier’s rules. A deaf passenger can be carried without an escort in consultation with the carrier, while a visually impaired passenger may, upon agreement with the carrier, be accompanied by a guide dog. Carriage of a visually impaired passenger, accompanied by a guide dog, may be carried out upon presentation a document to the carrier confirming the disability of that passenger and a document confirming the special training of the guide dog. A guide dog accompanying a visually impaired passenger is transported free of charge in excess of the established rate of free baggage allowance. The guide dog should have a collar and a muzzle and be tied to a chair at the feet of the passenger it accompanies.
How old must a child be to fly alone by airplane?
The age of the child is determined on the date of commencement of transportation from the airport (point) of departure specified in the transport document.
As unaccompanied (without parents and not trusted by any of the passengers), children between the ages of 5 and 12 may be transported by air; children are transported under the supervision of the carrier. At the request of parents (relatives, guardians), this provision may be extended to the transportation of children under 16. For the transportation of an unaccompanied child, an amount of 100% of the total fare is charged. Unaccompanied children are accepted for transportation only after registration by the parents (relatives, guardians) of the relevant document (guaranty) indicating all the data necessary for transportation. This document is to be filled in at the representative office of the carrier.
Detailed information on the rules of transportation of children including across the border of the Russian Federation can be found in the section ‘Passengers with children’.
What responsibility is held for drinking alcohol on the plane and for other offenses?
For drinking alcoholic beverages in public transport, administrative liability is introduced in the form of a fine in the amount of 500 to 700 roubles. Much more — from 1,000 to 3,000 roubles will be paid by people who have carried baggage on board the aircraft that has not been inspected or banned for transportation. Those passengers who do not comply with the lawful orders of the pilot-in-command can be fined between 2,000 and 5,000 roubles, as well as administrative arrest may follow for up to 15 days.
Do not also use pyrotechnic products on the territory of the airport, airfield, heliport, landing site, as well as in the band of air approaches to these objects without the permission of the administration. This is fraught with administrative liability in the form of a fine in the amount of 1,000 to 2,000 roubles with the confiscation of the instrument of committing an offense (pyrotechnics).
How are tickets refunded?
Air tickets are returned in accordance with airline regulations.
Refusal of flight, refund of the ticket and reimbursement of its cost depend on the conditions of the fare applied for the purchase of the ticket.
The refund amount depends on the airline’s fare rules and the time when the air ticket is refunded. Some rates are non-refundable, which is warned about when buying an air ticket.
Service fees paid upon purchase are not refundable.
When returning the ticket, airlines may charge a penalty. The amount of the penalty is set by the airline individually, it depends on the fare and the terms in which the air ticket is returned.
Airlines may not charge fines for refunds if the passenger returns the ticket for reasons beyond the passenger’s control. This can be, for example, flight cancellation or documented disease. In such cases, the operation of forced return of the ticket is carried out.
What services should be provided free of charge to passengers in the cabin?
The carrier must provide on board the aircraft:
- informing passengers about the flight conditions and general rules for the behaviour of passengers on board the aircraft, the locations of the main and emergency exits, the conditions for leaving the aircraft in emergency situations, as well as the locations of personal protective equipment and inflatable ladders in the passenger compartment;
- provision of refreshing drinks and / or hot drinks and food;
- First aid.
Hot meals are provided to passengers if an aircraft flight duration is more than three hours and then every four hours — in the daytime and every six hours — at night.
What should a passenger do if the baggage is lost by the air carrier?
In case of non-arrival of baggage at the airport of destination, the air carrier is obliged to organize its search. The search for baggage begins when the passenger submits a written application for its loss. If within 21 days from the moment of submitting the application the baggage is not found, the passenger has the right to demand compensation from the carrier for the damages caused to him.
The amount of compensation is not more than 600 roubles for each kilogram of baggage weight. If a passenger carries valuables with baggage, he is entitled to register his baggage with the declared value. In this case, the entire indicated value of the lost property will be refunded. However, it should be remembered that this service is paid, and its cost is set by the air carrier.
What if the passenger does not receive the baggage immediately after the arrival?
If the baggage is not received, the passenger needs to issue a written application on the basis of the transportation documents (boarding pass, electronic ticket, baggage tag), the baggage search officer immediately takes the necessary measures to search for the checked baggage.
If the checked baggage is not found within 21 days from the day of the presentation of the application for non-receipt of the baggage, it is recognized as lost, in which case the passenger is informed of the procedure for presenting the claim.
Phone of the agent for the search of baggage of the Khrabrovo Airport: +7 (4012) 610-324,610-480, e-mail: email@example.com.
Can I get back a thing I forgot at the airport?
The forgotten or lost things of passengers found on aircraft or on the territory of the airport shall be deposited in the service of the organization of passenger transportation to the baggage search room. Phone of the agent on search of baggage +7 (4012)
The items found are stored for 30 days from the date of receipt. After the expiration of this period, their realisation is carried out in accordance with the established procedure.
Hand baggage forgotten by a passenger on board an aircraft and found after the flight, is stored at the airport of its detection within six months from the date of arrival of the aircraft to the airport.
After the expiration of six months from the date of arrival of the aircraft to the airport, hand luggage and the said items may be sold or destroyed in the manner prescribed by the regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation.
A person applying for the found thing must prove his right to it, indicating the exact features or contents of the things.
What information is to be communicated by the carrier to the passengers at the airport by all means?
The carrier or the service organization provides passengers at the airport with visual and acoustic information:
- the time of departure and arrival of aircraft;
- about the place, time of beginning and end of registration for the flight indicated in the ticket;
- about the place, time of the beginning and end of boarding the passengers in the aircraft;
- the delay or cancellation of the flight and the reasons for the delay or cancellation of the flight;
- about the way to the nearest settlement, between the airport terminals, between airports;
- rules and procedures for pre-flight and post-flight inspections of passengers and baggage;
- on general rules for the performance by passengers the requirements related to border, customs, sanitary-quarantine, veterinary, quarantine phytosanitary types of control provided for by the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- the location of the rooms for mothers with children.
Federal Aviation Rules «General Rules for Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage, Cargoes and Requirements for Servicing Passengers, Consignors, Consignees» approved by Order No. 82 of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation of 28.06.2007.
How should pre-flight inspection of passengers and baggage be carried out?
Pre-flight inspection of passengers and baggage including passengers` personal carry-on items, is carried out with the use of technical and special means and (or) by hand (contact) method, but at the aerodromes of local air lines or on landing areas where there are no points of inspection and there are no stationary means of inspection, — manual metal detectors and manual (contact) method, and baggage and passengers personal carry-on items — only by hand (contact) method.
During pre-flight inspection, personal (individual) passenger screening can be carried out.
Pre-flight inspection of the passenger using technical and special means is carried out in the following order:
- checking of the ticket, boarding pass, reconciliation of the document with the passenger’s identity are performed at the entrance to the point of inspection;
- it is proposed to declare the objects and substances that the passenger is forbidden to carry on board the aircraft, as well as things taken from unauthorized people (parcels, packages, etc.) for transportation;
- It is proposed to lay out the passenger`s personal things containing metal in clothing (keys, etc.), take off the outer clothing (coat, jacket, raincoat, jacket, sweater, cardigan, pullover, jacket, etc., headgear) a belt, shoes and put everything in trays, baskets, put on the transporter of the
- the passenger is offered to pass through the frame of the stationary metal detector;
- examination of the contents of baggage, including passengers` personal carry-on items, outerwear (coat, jacket, raincoat, jacket, headdress), belt, shoes are carried out;
- when the stationary metal detector alarm is triggered: the locations of the metal objects in the passenger’s clothing are specified with the help of a hand-held metal detector; the passenger is offered to pass through the frame of the stationary metal detector after extraction and check of metal objects;
- the passenger is inspected with the help of a hand-held metal detector and a manual (contact) method of inspection in case of a repeated alarm.
What kind of passengers need to be agreed with an air carrier when booking an air ticket?
For booking air tickets, it is necessary to coordinate with the carrier the transportation of:
- a passenger with a child under 2 years;
- a child who is not accompanied by an adult passenger or passenger who, in accordance with the civil legislation of the Russian Federation, has acquired full legal capacity until he reaches the age of 18, who will be transported under the supervision of the carrier;
- a seriously ill passenger;
- a patient on stretchers;
- a deaf passenger without an escort;
- a visually impaired passenger with a guide dog;
- an unaccompanied passenger who is blind and / or deaf, who will be transported under the supervision of the carrier;
- a passenger whose ability to move when using air transport is limited and / or whose condition requires special attention during the service;
- a passenger who has weapons and / or ammunition.
Federal Aviation Rules ‘General Rules for Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage, Cargoes and Requirements for Servicing Passengers, Consignors, Consignees’ approved by Order No. 82 of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation of 28 June 2007.
What should a passenger do if they delay the delivery of his baggage at the airport?
According to the General Rules of Air Carriage of Passengers, Baggage, Cargoes and Requirements for Servicing Passengers, Consignors and Consignees, approved by Order No. 82 of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation of 28.06.2007, at the airport the carrier or servicer provides unloading of baggage from the aircraft, transportation and baggage delivery to passengers. Delivery of the checked baggage is made at the airport to which the checked baggage was accepted for transportation.
The carrier is obliged to provide passengers with the information about the place of checked baggage delivery at the airport of destination, stop or transfer, as well as the reason and duration of any delay in the delivery of baggage and ensure the delivery of baggage to passengers. The time limit for the delivery of baggage at the airport is not determined by law.
In what cases can a manual method be used to screen air passengers?
The manual (contact) method of inspection is conducted when a message is received about the upcoming capture or hijacking an aircraft performing a particular flight or following in a certain direction, and also in the absence of technical and special means at the point of inspection.
The manual (contact) method is carried out at the inspection of:
- passengers in spacious clothes hiding the outlines of their body;
- things whose internal content cannot be determined with the help of technical and special means;
- baggage and things of a passenger identified as potentially dangerous;
- all passengers during the flights subjected to increased security threats, an act of unlawful interference with an aircraft of a certain flight.
Rules for carrying out pre-flight and post-flight inspections, approved by Order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation No. 104 of July 25, 2007.
What is the deadline for presenting a claim to the carrier for domestic air transport?
In accordance with Art. 126 of the Air Code of the Russian Federation, a claim against the carrier for domestic air transport may be submitted within 6 months.
- about compensation for damage in the event of shortage or damage of cargo or mail, as well as in case of delay in their delivery — from the day following the day of delivery of the goods, but in respect of mail — from the date of drawing up the commercial act;
- about compensation for damage in the event of loss of cargo — ten days after the expiration of the delivery;
- about compensation for harm in case of loss of mail — upon expiration of the delivery time;
- about compensation for harm in all other cases — from the date of the occurrence of the event which served as the basis for the presentation of the claim.
The carrier has the right to accept for consideration the claim after the expiration of the established term if it recognizes the reason for missing the deadline for presenting the claim as valid.
What is the procedure for presenting claims in the event of a violation of the contract of air carriage of a passenger or cargo?
According to Art. 124 of the RF Air Code at the request of the passenger, consignor or consignee and upon presentation of transportation documents by one of them, the carrier must draw up a commercial certificate. The commercial act certifies the circumstances that may serve as the basis for the property liability of the carrier, the passenger, the consignor or the consignee.
A commercial certificate is drawn up when delivering baggage or cargo to certify the following circumstances:
- inconsistency between the actual name of the cargo, its weight or the number of units of cargo to the data specified in the shipping document;
- damage of cargo;
- shortage or damage of baggage;
- baggage or cargo without shipping documents or shipping documents without baggage or cargo.
Before the claim to the carrier in the event of a violation of the contract for the carriage of goods by air or the contract for the carriage of mail by air, a claim is made to the carrier. In case of violation of the contract of air transportation of a passenger or cargo, the carrier is presented with an application or claim at the airport of the point of departure or at the airport of the destination at the discretion of the applicant. The absence of a commercial act does not deprive the passenger, consignor or consignee of the right to file a claim or a suit.
Where and how can the personal inspection of air passengers be carried out?
Individual (individual) inspection of passengers is carried out in special rooms (cabins) for personal (individual) inspection, equipped and kept in compliance with sanitary and hygienic standards.
Personal (individual) inspection is carried out only by people of the same sex with a passenger who is inspected in the presence of two witnesses, with the participation of police officers in transport and drawing up a protocol. It is forbidden to carry out a personal inspection of several passengers in the same room at the same time.
Rules for carrying out pre-flight and post-flight inspections, approved by Order of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation No. 104 of July 25, 2007.
Are there any restrictions on the transportation of pregnant women?
Pregnant women are accepted for transportation in the presence of a certificate with an exact indication of the gestational age which should not exceed 32 weeks. Women with a gestation period of more than 35 weeks are accepted for transportation only after medical examination and consent of the carrier, accompanied by a doctor or other medical worker.
We also inform you that before the proposed flight you need to clarify the conditions of the airline that performs the flight, regarding the restrictions of transportation of pregnant women. This kind of information is published in the relevant sections of the official website of the air carrier, or we recommend you to contact the expert of the call centre of the airline, which is scheduled to fly.
How can I get a ticket if the passport is being reissued or it is lost?
In this situation, you can purchase an air ticket on a temporary identity card, an established form with a photo which is issued for the period when the passport of a citizen of the Russian Federation is issued upon the request of the person applying.